A high elevation reveals a few historic structures rising above the trees out on the expanse of Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. At left is Launch Complex 5/6 where a Mercury-Redstone rocket stands on the old launch pad commemorating the first Mercury flights carrying American astronauts into space. Rising in the center is Cape Canaveral Lighthouse. The original Cape Canaveral Lighthouse was an iron tower built in 1868 that operated until shoreline erosion in the mid 1890s forced it to be moved a mile inland and rebuilt into the structure seen today. Just to the right of the lighthouse is Hanger C, one of the oldest structures at Cape Canaveral and former home to Wernher Von Braun’s office when he was at the Cape rather than on the job as director of the Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama. Von Braun would often climb to the top of the lighthouse to watch launches and had communications gear run up to the top so he could follow along with the countdown.
Categories: Space Age Bulletins